Your professional education in expressive arts  therapy begins here.

Image Alt


Q: What are the admission requirements for the Expressive Arts Institute?

A: Prospective students  in the EGS Masters Program ideally possess a BA in psychology, a human services related field, or in a studio or performing art. Those entering with a psychology or human services degree need to show substantial evidence of work in at least one art medium. Those entering from a fine arts background will need two basic psychology courses: Developmental Psychology, and Abnormal Psychology. These courses may be taken concurrently with the Institute training, but must be completed before the commencement of second year of training.

Prospective Students for the Professional Training must hold a MA in a helping or Education field, or an MFA. Not sure if your degree qualifies? Contact us to find out.

Q: What if I don’t have a bachelor’s degree yet? What is a BA waiver?

A: The European Graduate School (EGS) in Saas Fe, Switzerland has a program that allows students with at least 40 transcript hours of study toward a BA to get university credit for life experience. This allows them to begin work on their master’s degree. This requires a separate application process to EGS, and a test. Such students do not actually receive a BA, but can receive their Masters Degree in Expressive Arts Therapy from EGS, thus the “BA Waiver.”

Q: Do I have to Travel to Europe?

A: If you are seeking the MA in Expressive Arts Therapy, you must travel to the European Graduate school in Saas Fee Switzerland for three low residency 22 day summer sessions. Travel is not required for the professional training program.

Q: What is IEATA? Will I be a “Licensed Therapist” when I finish the degree?

A: IEATA is the acronym for the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association, the professional body that sets the standards for registration and training of expressive arts therapists. A graduate of the Institute and EGS must register with IEATA and amass 2000 hours of post graduate therapy experience with approved supervision, to qualify as a Registered Expressive Arts Therapist (REAT). There is currently no licensing procedure for REAT’s.

Q: What career options are available to Registered Expressive Arts Therapists?

A: Many REAT’s work in private practice therapy, but that is by no means their only career option. Expressive Arts Therapists are finding increased work in the public sector, in government, schools, medical and psychiatric hospitals, prisons and charitable foundations. In the business world, Expressive Arts Therapy is a uniquely suited tool for conflict resolution, team building, creativity and sensitivity workshops. Expressive Arts Therapists have worked with premature infants, geriatric nursing home patients and every population in between. REATs teach in colleges and universities, and continue to work as artists within their communities. In short, the employment prospects are only limited by the imagination of the practitioner.

 Q: Do I need the Professional Training, or the Master’s degree?

A: Students holding a MA in a helping profession, or MFA may apply to the professional training, which excludes the need to travel to Switzerland. Professional training students may opt to go one summer to Switzerland.

Q: I already have a career as an MFT, LCSW or Licensed Psychologist. What training can the Institute provide for me?

A: Through the training program, the Institute provides professionals with the education needed to register as Expressive Arts Therapists. Such training need not include the European portion of the program, although students often choose to do at least one year to have the experience of being in the international learning community. In addition to the Professional Diploma, individual trainings are offered in expressive arts therapy, which may provide CEU’s for licensed professionals.